Sunday, May 23, 2010

Taste Test: Pierogies

So one of the things I miss most about my days before Celiac Disease was my baba's (grandma) pierogies.  My mom being 100% Ukrainian, pierogies were a staple in my family's kitchen.  Yesterday I was shopping at Return to Eden and found Conte's Peirogies.  I figured I need to try these.  I've tried other gluten free pierogies and didn't like them, but this packaging made me think they'd be worth a shot.  Here is what I thought.

  • Taste: Good - I had the potato and cheese ones, and the filling was fairly consistent, needed more onion for me, but I can fix that with my own onions on top next time.
  • Texture: Average - They use ravioli pasta it seems instead of a dough.  So they were a little soggy. 
  • Appearance: Average - Since they got a little water logged they didn't look like something I'd serve to visitors, but for just me they were good. 
  • Preparation: Easy - They needed to be boiled for 8 - 10 minutes.  So pretty simple.  I used to always pan fry mine as a kid, so they would get a little crunchy.  Or if we had time we'd bake them.  Not sure since the outside is more like Pasta if this will work, but maybe I'll give it a try.
  • Overall: Give them a try - It's going to be hard to be Baba's Pierogies, but these are a good second when I'm missing home since I can't eat traditional ones anymore.

No comments:

Post a Comment