Monday, May 31, 2010

Restaurants: Trip to DC Proves GF Friendly

My recent trip to Washington, D.C. over Memorial Day proved to be very Gluten Free Friendly.  It was pretty hard to not wonder if D.C. would provide me a healthier lifestyle with all the gluten free restaurants and options.  Here are the places we went that were very friendly and accommodating to my dietary needs.

Sette Bello, Clarendon, VA: Don't have a Gluten Free Menu, but were extremely cognizant of the GF diet and made sure my meal was made just for me.  I got he Risotto Primavera and it was to die for.  

On a different note, Sette Bello is just a great spot to chill.  There were 5 of us out for dinner and drinks.  Since people were showing up at different times we ate in the bar/lounge area and chilled for close to 2.5 hours.  They also have wine flights here, so we all enjoyed trying wines from different regions in Italy.  Which for a wine lover like me was great. 


Scion, Dupont Circle, DC: Scion does have a Gluten Free Menu for Lunch and Dinner.  We went there for brunch and even though there was no GF menu for Brunch the staff was still very familiar with what I could and could not eat.  Of course I was very disappointed that their breakfast potatoes were not GF, but the omelet was great and the Fruit Bar was a nice added touch.


Hello Cupcake, Dupont Circle, DC: This cupcake spot was a great find for someone who regularly doesn't find fresh gluten free baked goods.  They have 1 gluten free cupcake a day.  On Saturday they had Tiramisu, and I have to say, I don't generally like this dessert because I don't like coffee or espresso, but I decided to try it and it was great.  On Sunday they had Lemon cake with either strawberry butter cream icing or lemon icing.  I went with Strawberry and it was too good to be true.  We google to see if there were other Gluten Free bakeries in town.  Red Velvet has gluten free cupcakes as well, but they only make chocolate gluten free cupcakes from what I read.  So Hello Cupcake gets my vote for being GF friendly.

Red Mango, Multiple Locations throughout the US (sadly not in Atlanta): When you walk in, on the wall in big bold letters it says Gluten Free.  I almost jumped up and down and yelped, I actually may have done that. 

Red Mango is an all natural frozen yogurt shop.  It has four flavors a day, my favorite was Madagascar Vanilla.  You pick your yogurt flavor and then you can add fresh fruit toppings.  This yogurt is low in calories and has probiotics in it, so it's a treat that you don't have to feel guilty about. 

Red Mango also makes made to order Parfaits.  I didn't get one, but it looks like you could get a parfait without the granola and it would be gluten free. 


Sticky Rice, H Street, Washington DC: This is a gluten free, vegetarian and vegan friendly restaurant.  The waitress was great at answering all of my questions about what I could and could not eat.  They have sushi and noodles that are gluten free.  And they even have gluten free soy sauce.  The chef was good at modifying a sushi roll that wasn't originally gluten free so I could still have it.  I only got sushi, so i don't know how the noodles are, but they looked good.

No comments:

Post a Comment